It takes time to plan a move, package your items, and store them in a self-storage unit. You already found the perfect self-storage unit, so here comes the hard part: fitting everything in the unit. The hardest part is making sure everything is placed to where it is also easily accessible.
We have compiled a list of our professional tips to make sure you don’t miss one step on your big move. Before you start packing and planning, read our list to get the most out of your self-storage unit.
Before you even start packing, think about everything that you are going to pack up to move into your storage unit. What is going to go into boxes? What is going to need to be secured?
- Sturdy, corrugated cartons
- Packing paper
- Bubble wrap
- Sealing tape
- Marker pens
- Furniture covers
- Dryer sheets (can keep pests away and keep your unit smelling clean)
While You Pack
Clean your appliances
- Before you pack your items into boxes, wipe them down and dry them.
Group similar items together
- For example, put all of your dishes in one box. You may even want to separate dishes even further by cups and bowls in one box and utensils and pots/pans in another.
Use bubble wrap to protect breakable items
- Don’t forget bubble wrap! Bubble wrap not only helps to protect your breakable items, but is also reusable! Plus, you can see right through it since it is clear, so it will be easier for you to find what you are looking for.
Seal boxes tightly
- You don’t want any nasty critters getting into your boxes. Make sure you are using strong duct tape to tightly secure your boxes shut. This will also help to prevent dust and maintain durability.
Label your boxes
- This will help when it comes time to fetch those items out of storage. You don’t want to have to rummage through all your boxes.
Place books flat
- It may seem like the easier option to pack books straight up for more space, but it can actually cause damage your books. Laying books flat will help protect their spines. For extra protection, wrap each book separately with wrapping paper.
- If you want to keep mattresses and box springs dust-free, use mattress covers or fitted sheets to cover both sides.
- If you are storing couches, you should purchase a couch cover. There are a lot of spaces for little creatures to crawl into and create your homes. Keep your furniture clean and in good condition.
- If you are going to store wooden furniture, use a furniture polish before you store it. It can help ward off dust and dirt.
Before you start packing all of the boxes in the truck, take a moment to think what you might need access to later on. Put the items you know you might need one day towards the back of the truck, and pack the items you won’t need access to closest to the door. By doing this, the first items you pull out, you can begin storing towards the back of your storage unit. This will save so much more time than you think!
While You Stack
- Create an aisle between boxes so you can easily access your stored items. If you ever need to access something from storage, you’ll have easy access to all of your boxes and won’t have to rummage through your boxes and mess up the organization.
- Stack heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on top. If this option won’t work for your items, purchase a shelving unit.
- Fill every nook and cranny. For example, if you are storing a dresser, store some smaller items in the drawers to create more space.
- Don’t push all of your boxes and belongings to the walls; leave a small space. This can help prevent mold and helps with ventilation.
You can get the most out of your space by storing couches on their side and stacking boxes of the same size on top of one another. For more storage space and organization, use shelving units along the sides of your unit.
Visit Storage 4U in San Antonio, Texas
If you are searching for a self-storage unit in San Antonio, look no further than Storage 4U! We are the most affordable self-storage unit in the city with three convenient locations. Our storage units include state-of-the-art electronic gate access, ground level access, drive-up access, and low-cost insurance. Plus, our units have 24/7 access and video surveillance, so you can get to your belongings safely at any time.
Whether you’re looking to store a boat, a car, antique furniture, or small items, we have various unit sizes to fit your needs. Call Storage 4U today at 210-714-2459!